Sunday 20 November 2011

Colour Challenge!

Thank you so much - everyone out there who is reading this blog! It is amazing, and rather humbling, to know that people from Russia to Argentina, from Canada to Hong Kong, and from New Zealand to the Bahamas are checking in to Writing from the Edge. As a friend said to me today - isn't the internet a wonderful thing!

He also said that he thought new posts would come to him automatically. I believe this can be arranged! If you would like your friendly cyber-postman to deliver new posts, hot from the press, straight to your email door - just fill in the email slot above and click 'submit' (your email details won't be passed to me) and/or click on Follow or Subscribe in the right hand column. At least - I think that's what you do! I am a complete novice, so you probably - in fact, almost certainly - know more than I do about these things!

When I finished writing my entry for this week's 100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups a few days ago, I logged onto Julia's Place to double check that I had the wording of the challenge correct, and found that loads of people had already got their act together and published their pieces. I couldn't resist digging in straight away, and it was great fun reading them all. The internet may be a wonderful thing, but the imagination is just wild! Whatever else may happening in Europe, they can't take that away from us, thank heavens!

Anyway, by the time I'd read all that lot, my household was screaming for supper, or at least certain members were - my husband and the divine duo don't scream (but are all cats as vociferous as mine?), so I'm only now getting back to it, and all I can say is, it's a big mistake reading other entries before posting your own - it surely makes one feel inadequate!

The challenge this week was to write a piece of dialogue of 158 words (including the prompt) on: ...'Are you sure it should be that colour?'...

Tentatively, here is my entry: 



     ‘How’re you doing?’ Paul asked anxiously.
     ‘Winning, hopefully.’ Luke said, depressing the plunger. ‘We’ll see soon enough.’ He paused. ‘D’you remember our den – when we were kids?’ he said.
     ‘What? Yes – yes, of course, but…’
     ‘Remember when we planned to leave wha’sisname’s gang – join Colin’s?’
     ‘Of course I remember, but what…?’
     ‘He told us to paint our den door.’
     ‘The one we nicked from my dad’s shed!’ Paul grinned. ‘I’d hardly forget that. “Green for me, blue for him,” Colin said. “Choose whose side you’re on!” And you painted it turquoise, you pillock!’
     ‘It looked green to me.’ Cautiously, Luke tipped the glass phial. ‘You said:  “Are you sure it should be that colour?”
     ‘I was right – because then Colin and the lads turned up…’
     ‘And you said “RUN!”’ Luke looked up, his face pale. ‘You need to run now! This shouldn’t be that colour – I can’t diffuse it! It’s going to blow. Go – get out of here!’

9 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the two stories in one...very clever. Mix of humour and tragedy. No need to be tentative,this is a great piece. (I've stopped reading the others til i post...feel too overawed otherwise! But you have nothing to worry about:-D see you next time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna. I'm glad you liked the two, different stories. I wanted a twist at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the two stories in one too - especially the fact that they bothe ended in the same way. I also loved the turquoise bit - it really is one of those colours people can never agree on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for finding the time for 100WCGU especially as this is such a great piece. such a dramatic ending that suddenly appears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is excellent and exciting. I love that it just feels like a normal conversation between these two characters who have known each other for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, S-J, J and L for your comments. I'm so glad you all liked the piece, and felt that it works on different levels. And thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it's true that michievious boys turn into mischievious young men. Better watch the cheeky ones in school then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff, Lorely. I'm really pleased you're a regular contributor to 100 word challenge. I can only echo the praise above.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Dughall. Wanted to leave a comment on your page (but haven't cracked your comment system yet!) - thought your Santa and Rudolph piece was great. Such an original idea! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Ah, go on! Make my day - leave a comment!