Friday 23 March 2012

Just Like That...

To welcome me home yesterday, Pushkin, aka Senior Cat, took me on an extended tour of the garden.
She's quite an outdoor girl, is Pushy, and if the weather is at all conciliatory, prefers to be out in her domain, so she was the ideal guide.  She is probably the only person who knows it better than I do.

We set out eagerly. I like March. It's a great month. Things are moving and promise lingers in the air like evening sunlight, yet all that burgeoning ebullience is still manageable. March is the last moment when you still feel in control. 

I had quite a shock.

Admittedly, 'There's not a moment to lose' is the order of the day around here, but even so, the garden has pulled a fast one in my absence.


I was expecting to see these pretty things. They politely hold back when all the other daffodils are thrusting themselves forward to be the first and foremost of spring. Come what may, they obey the dictum of their breeding, and flower appropriately:

Daffodils - variety Paddy's Day. Planted for my gorgeous boy who's birthday was last week.




Naturally, I was also expecting to see these, as they are one of the first every year, their pretty heads rising high above their delightfully spotted leaves.

Pulmonaria that I've always known as Mary and Joseph for the pink and blue flowers together. Some are already fading.








 Eagerly I was anticipating these:



Primroses - one of the joys of spring






And there was always a distinct chance that I might find some of these:  

These fancy daffs are some of the last to flower





 not to mention this little beauty:




My gorgeous young prunus Shirotae always flowers in late March. I am still waiting for it to take on the more traditional umbrella shape! Perhaps this year it will start...


But I didn't really expect to see these, which shouldn't be here until next month:


Narcissus Winston Churchill - very heavily scented. They also spread beautifully


 
 
And I distinctly remember a time when these were a feature of May. In fact, I'll be honest - these were May. Like a kind of wallpaper behind everything else.


Wild garlic. You have to learn not to fight it. I'm still learning






 And exactly what is going on here, for heaven's sake?

These tulips aren't just in flower - they have FINISHED flowering!







Pushy, I have to say, although not surprised at such forwardness, was not entirely approving of everything she had to show me, as witnessed by her expression in the vegetable garden.



These are hardly the delicate stems, pink and 'palely loitering' that I would expect in March! As you can see, Pushy entirely agrees with me. She is old enough to remember a time when things did what you expected them to do.
(They are however as delicious as they look. What could be nicer for breakfast than stewed rhubarb and yogurt?)


But her final revelation took the biscuit.
What, may I ask, is this all about?

Bluebells in March?
 





However, I was very happy to find that the sharks lurking in my little pond haven't managed to gobble up all the tadpoles yet. 


Tadpole heaven



Can you see them?

Look closely. There are millions of tadpoles squiggling about in this picture, but the light on the surface of the water makes it hard to pick them out.
Mind you, the sharks are still circling lazily.








And hiding under the kingcups.





The only thing I saw flitting about was this unidentified insect. I didn't actually see Tommy Cooper's ghost drifting over the pond or above the shrubbery, but I had the distinct feeling he had been in the garden while I was away.
Do you remember how he used to jig his hands and say 'Just like that...'?

I wish he'd come back and do a bit more jigging. Maybe this time he could jig away a few things.
Like the weeds.
Because they're as ebullient as the flowers.
So much for control!










3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I so enjoyed this. I saw tulips in bloom on a roundabout near the Elephant and Castle yesterday, the Rees are springing into blossom, our flags are nearly over. No bluebells yet, and I envious of your rhubarb.
    This is my favourite season. The days are getting longer,the heating is off,the windows open. Not Cat won't come in because he is enjoying himself too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the virtual tour - thank you!! Beautiful.
    Hope you recovered from flu and may see you at market in the morn,
    X T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wandered about the yard a wee bit today (the wind was too cold to wander for long) and found the very tips of some of the crocus. At least I know they're still there and did not get consumed by critters over the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Ah, go on! Make my day - leave a comment!